|NHC pastures harder to reach for|
the NJ Horseplayer
- July 7: Monmouth Park ($200 Handicapping Contest) - less than 50/50 at this point, considering potential July 4 weekend scheduling conflicts (plus, I was not on track in time on the date of cancelled May 19 contest to at least get the $50 chit available to other players)
- July 18-September 5: Del Mar Internet Contest (free) - The NHC Tour calender shows two (2) NHC seats will be awarded this year, versus one (1) the last two years; a fun, but tough, contest
- August 4: Suffolk Downs ($60 entry fee) - The notion of driving 4.5 hours toward Boston on a summer Saturday may seem far fetched, but with three (3) NHC spots and potential Tour points on the line, and the Red Sox hosting the Twins that night, I am considering this one. Plus, my 45-MPG diesel is conducive to efficient road trips).
- The tournament format looks a bit rigid, in that players have to make their selections on all 15 contest races before the start of the first race, but adds an intriguing strategic element.
- HorseTourneys.com (assorted $20 NHC pre-qualifiers) - Perhaps the best NHC value, in my opinion, when considering that for an Andrew Jackson, Tour players can qualify in a real-time event for a $195 NHC Qualifier and, ultimately, 1:50 shot at an NHC berth.
- Any NHC Tour member freebie tournaments - seems like a while since there's been one (the Tour gave away 10 seats in my first year of membership, and if I recall eight last year), though I am figuring one will surface at some point this summer.